VHA National Desktop Library
Emergency Medicine Subject Guide
If you are working remotely, you will need to log into Athens Remote Access to access these resources.
External Link Disclaimer: All links below are External links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
A sample of the online journals available in emergency medicine include:
- Emergency Medicine News
- Annals of Emergency Medicine
- Journal of Emergency Medicine
- Academic Emergency Medicine
To locate all online journals available to you, search your local library.
A sample of the online books available in emergency medicine include:
Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine - James R. Roberts
Publication Date: 2019
CURRENT Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine - C. Keith Stone
Publication Date: 2017
Marino's the ICU Book - Paul L. Marino
Publication Date: 2014
Rosen's Emergency Medicine - John Marx
Publication Date: 2018
Tintinalli’s Emergency Medicine Manual - David M. Cline
Publication Date: 2020
To locate all online books available to you, search your local library.
- AccessEmergency Medicine
AccessEmergency Medicine from McGraw-Hill, physicians and residents will find answers in one click for a broad spectrum of complaints encountered in the ED, with more than ten titles ranging from pediatric emergencies to orthopedic emergencies to poisoning to trauma, links to deeper information on different presentations, diagnostic tests, procedures, video CME offerings, and more.
- Clinical Key
This clinical search engine includes access to full text books, journals, guidelines and multimedia. Contains Elsevier published content of 521 journals, 900+ clinical texts, procedure videos and much more.
- Cochrane Library
The Cochrane Library is a systematic reviews resource and includes the following:
- Cochrane Clinical Answers
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL)
PubMed provides over 23 million citations for biomedical literature, including MEDLINE, life science journals and ebooks.
- UpToDate (use if on the VA computer network)
UpToDate is a guided evidence-based, clinical decision-making solution with dynamic and interactive algorithms as well as lab monographs. UpToDate Pathways is comprised of interactive algorithms that provide clinical recommendations tailored to each patient, and address common, chronic, and sometimes complex conditions with multiple management, diagnoses, or treatment options. UpToDate Lab Interpretation contains monographs and algorithms that guide you to more quickly and accurately interpret and decide on next steps for lab results out of the normal range.
For remote access use https://www.uptodate.com with your UTD username/password. Tip Sheet for CME/Remote Access Registration
Please check with your local library for additional databases in your subject area.
- Analysis of Risk Factors for Patient Safety Events Occurring in the Emergency Department
- Early Comprehensive Testing for COVID-19 is Essential to Protect Trauma Centers
- Consensus Recommendations on the Prehospital Care of the Injured Athlete With a Suspected Catastrophic Cervical Spine Injury
- COVID-19 epidemic in the Seine-Saint-Denis Department of Greater Paris: one month and three waves for a tsunami
- The Orthopaedic Trauma Service and COVID-19: Practice Considerations to Optimize Outcomes and Limit Exposure