VHA National Desktop Library
Health Business and Administration Subject Guide
If you are working remotely, you will need to log into Athens Remote Access to access these resources.
External Link Disclaimer: All links below are external links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
A sample of the online journals available in Health Business and Administration include:
- BMJ Open Quality
- Frontiers of Health Services Management
- Harvard Business Review
- Health Care Management Review
- Health Care Manager
- Health Facilities Management
- Healthcare Executive
- Healthcare Financial Management
- Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
- Joint Commission Newsletters
- Journal of Healthcare Management
- Physician Leadership Journal
To locate all online journals available to you, search your local library.
There are many online books on the subject of Health Business and Administration via Skillsoft Books (formerly Books 24x7). Skillsoft Books can be accessed directly at https://valo.skillport.com/skillportfe/login.action or via TMS. Some notable titles are:
- 7 Principles of Transformational Leadership : Create a Mindset of Passion, Innovation, and Growth
- Dealing with the Tough Stuff: How to Achieve Results from Crucial Conversations
- Human Resources in Healthcare : Managing for Success - ACHE
- Introduction to the Financial Management of Healthcare Organizations - ACHE
- Lean Healthcare Dictionary : an Illustrated Guide to Using the Language of Lean Management in Healthcare
- Stephen R. Covey Interactive Reader: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People; First Things First; and the Best of the Most Renowned Leadership Teacher of our Time
- The Well-Managed Healthcare Organization- ACHE
Lean Six Sigma for Hospitals- Jay Arthur
Publication Date: 2016
Optimizing Patient Flow- Eugene Litvak
Publication Date: 2018 (Available on the Intranet Only).
Performance Improvement for Healthcare- Bahadir Inozu
Publication Date: 2012
To locate all online books available to you, search your local library.
- AORN Accreditation Assistant for Joint Commission Standards*
This tool aligns Joint Commission standards with the AORN Guidelines of Ambulatory, Critical Access Hospital, Hospital, Office-Based Surgery, and Sterile Processing.
For remote access: Create an account by clicking on Login at the top right of page and then Login or Create an Account
- Health Business Elite
Health Business Elite provides comprehensive full-text journal content detailing all aspects of health care administration and other non-clinical aspects of health care institution management.
- Health Policy Reference Center
Health Policy Reference Center is a full-text research database providing full-text publications and journal articles covering all aspects of health policy.
HeinOnline is a legal research collection that features full-text searching of laws and regulations, case law, treaties and agreements, scholarly legal and criminal justice periodicals, and related materials.
- Joint Commission Manual E-dition
Joint Commission E-dition provides all standards and requirements for Joint Commission accreditation and certification programs.
No remote access via Athens - Available only at a VA facility
PubMed provides over 23 million citations for biomedical literature, including MEDLINE, life science journals and ebooks.
Please check with your local library for additional databases in your subject area.
Prepared by professional librarians in the VA Library Network and delivered straight to your inbox, Literature e-Alerts help you stay up-to-date on the latest developments in selected fields, better equipping you to perform your work at VA and serve our nation's Veterans. Upon receipt of the alerts, subscribers will need to work with their local library staff to obtain full-text articles.
Topics of interest include:
- Lean Six Sigma
- Wait Times
- Veterans Affairs Media Summary and News Clips (Briefs and Clips)
To sign up to receive these alerts or other of interest on a regular basis, please complete the form found on the National Desktop Library.
- Staffing With Disease-Based Epidemiologic Indices May Reduce Shortage of Intensive Care Unit Staff During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Lessons Learned for Orthopaedic Care Within the NYC COVID Epicenter Utilizing the USNS Comfort
- Adverse Events and Burnout: The Moderating Effects of Workgroup Identification and Safety Climate
- The Impact of Adherence to Clinical Practice Guidelines on Medical Costs
- Workplace violence: Examination of the tensions between duty of care, worker safety, and zero tolerance