VHA National Desktop Library
Medicine Subject Guide
If you are working remotely, you will need to log into Athens Remote Access to access these resources.
External Link Disclaimer: All links below are External links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
A sample of the online journals available in medicine include:
- American Journal of Medicine
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- BMJ. British Medical Journal
- JAMA : the Journal of the American Medical Association
- Journal of General Internal Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine
To locate all online journals available to you, search your local library.
A sample of the online books available in medicine include:
Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2020 - Maxine A. Papadakis
Publication Date: 2020
Goldman's Cecil Medicine - Lee Goldman
Publication Date: 2020
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine - Dan L. Longo
Publication Date: 2018
Principles and Practice of Hospital Medicine - Sylvia C. McKean
Publication Date: 2017
Seidel's Guide to Physical Examination - Henry M. Seidela
Publication Date: 2015
Textbook of Physical Diagnosis: History and Examination - Mark H. Swartz
Publication Date: 2014
To locate all online books available to you, search your local library.
This clinical search engine includes access to full text books, journals, guidelines and multimedia. Contains Elsevier published content of 521 journals, 900+ clinical texts, procedure videos and much more.
Clinical Key includes First Consult and Procedures Consult.
- Cochrane Library
The Cochrane Library is a systematic reviews resource and includes the following:
- Cochrane Clinical Answers
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL)
PubMed provides over 23 million citations for biomedical literature, including MEDLINE, life science journals and ebooks.
- UpToDate (use if on the VA computer network)
UpToDate is a guided evidence-based, clinical decision-making solution with dynamic and interactive algorithms as well as lab monographs. UpToDate Pathways is comprised of interactive algorithms that provide clinical recommendations tailored to each patient, and address common, chronic, and sometimes complex conditions with multiple management, diagnoses, or treatment options. UpToDate Lab Interpretation contains monographs and algorithms that guide you to more quickly and accurately interpret and decide on next steps for lab results out of the normal range.
For remote access use https://www.uptodate.com with your UTD username/password. Tip Sheet for CME/Remote Access Registration
VisualDx is an visual-based differential diagnosis tool designed for the point of care. Search by disease or quickly build a differential based on chief complaint, medication, or travel finding. Includes more than 40,000 images and 2,700 diseases across general medicine.
Please check with your local library for additional databases in your subject area.
- Provider Burnout and Fatigue During the COVID-19 Pandemic: Lessons Learned From a High-Volume Intensive Care Unit
- Events Associated With Changes in Reliance on the Veterans Health Administration Among Medicare-eligible Veterans
- A Mixed Methods Study of the Association of Non-Veterans Affairs Care With Veterans' and Clinicians' Experiences of Care Coordination
- Did the Affordable Care Act Decrease Veteran Enrollment in the Veterans Health Administration?
- Comorbidity Assessment Is Uneven Across Veterans Health Administration and Medicare for the Same Patient: Implications for Risk Adjustment