VHA National Desktop Library
Patient Safety Subject Guide
If you are working remotely, you will need to log into Athens Remote Access to access these resources.
External Link Disclaimer: All links below are External links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
A sample of the online journals available in patient safety include:
- American Journal of Medical Quality
- BMJ Quality & Safety
- International Journal of Safe Patient Handling and Mobility
- Joint Commission Journal on Quality and Patient Safety
- Journal for Healthcare Quality
- Journal of Patient Safety
- Journal of Patient Safety and Risk Management
- Quality Management in Health Care
- TIPS (Topics in Patient Safety) Newsletter
To locate all online journals available to you, search your local library.
A sample of the online books available in patient safety include:
Optimizing Patient Flow- Eugene Litvak
Publication Date: 2018 (Available on the Intranet Only).
Safer Healthcare: Strategies for the Real World- Charles Vincent
Publication Date: 2016
Surgical Patient Safety: A Case-Based Approach- Philip F. Stahel
Publication Date: 2018
Understanding Patient Safety- Robert M. Wachter
Publication Date: 2018
To locate all online books available to you, search your local library.
- AORN Facility Reference Center
The Facility Reference Center is a one-stop online site where hospital, ASC, and health system subscribers can easily access the Guidelines, plus other integrated resources and tools that can help facilities and individuals more effectively implement evidence-based patient care.
- Health Business Elite
Health Business Elite provides comprehensive full-text journal content detailing all aspects of health care administration and other non-clinical aspects of health care institution management.
- Health Policy Reference Center
Health Policy Reference Center is a full-text research database providing full-text publications and journal articles covering all aspects of health policy.
- Joint Commission Manual E-dition
Joint Commission E-dition provides all standards and requirements for Joint Commission accreditation and certification programs.
- UpToDate (use if on the VA computer network)
UpToDate is a guided evidence-based, clinical decision-making solution with dynamic and interactive algorithms as well as lab monographs. UpToDate Pathways is comprised of interactive algorithms that provide clinical recommendations tailored to each patient, and address common, chronic, and sometimes complex conditions with multiple management, diagnoses, or treatment options. UpToDate Lab Interpretation contains monographs and algorithms that guide you to more quickly and accurately interpret and decide on next steps for lab results out of the normal range.
For remote access use https://www.uptodate.com with your UTD username/password. Tip Sheet for CME/Remote Access Registration
Please check with your local library for additional databases in your subject area.
- On Patient Safety: COVID-19 Exposes the Dangerous State of Drug and Device Supply Chains
- Evaluating a Fall Risk Assessment Tool in an Emergency Department
- Association Between Physician Burnout and Self-reported Errors: Meta-analysis
- The Heart Failure Clinic: Improving 30-Day All-Cause Hospital Readmissions
- Dose Verification Errors in Hospitals: Literature Review of the eMAR-based Systems Used by Nurses