VHA National Desktop Library
Primary Care Subject Guide
If you are working remotely, you will need to log into Athens Remote Access to access these resources.
External Link Disclaimer: All links below are External links. By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
A sample of the online journals available in primary care include:
- Journal of Family Practice
- Mayo Clinic Proceedings
- New England Journal of Medicine
- American Family Physician
- Family Practice Management
To locate all online journals available to you, search your local library.
A sample of the online books available in primary care include:
Case Files Family Medicine - Eugene C. Toy
Publication Date: 2016
Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Family Medicine - Jeannette E. South-Paul
Publication Date: 2020
Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine - Dan L. Longo
Publication Date: 2018
Textbook of Family Medicine - Robert Rakel
Publication Date: 2016
To locate all online books available to you, search your local library.
This innovative online resource provides students, residents, clinicians and all health professionals with access to more than 60 medical titles from the best minds in medicine, updated content, thousands of images and illustrations, interactive self-assessment, case files, diagnostic tools, a comprehensive search platform, and the ability to download content to a mobile device.
- Clinical Key
This clinical search engine includes access to full text books, journals, guidelines and multimedia. Contains Elsevier published content of 521 journals, 900+ clinical texts, procedure videos and much more.
- Cochrane Library
The Cochrane Library is a systematic reviews resource and includes the following:
- Cochrane Clinical Answers
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews (CDSR)
- Cochrane Library - Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL)
PubMed provides over 23 million citations for biomedical literature, including MEDLINE, life science journals and ebooks.
- UpToDate (use if on the VA computer network)
UpToDate is a guided evidence-based, clinical decision-making solution with dynamic and interactive algorithms as well as lab monographs. UpToDate Pathways is comprised of interactive algorithms that provide clinical recommendations tailored to each patient, and address common, chronic, and sometimes complex conditions with multiple management, diagnoses, or treatment options. UpToDate Lab Interpretation contains monographs and algorithms that guide you to more quickly and accurately interpret and decide on next steps for lab results out of the normal range.
For remote access use https://www.uptodate.com with your UTD username/password. Tip Sheet for CME/Remote Access Registration
VisualDx is an visual-based differential diagnosis tool designed for the point of care. Search by disease or quickly build a differential based on chief complaint, medication, or travel finding. Includes more than 40,000 images and 2,700 diseases across general medicine.
Please check with your local library for additional databases in your subject area.
- Challenges and Facilitators of Implementing a Physician-approved Naloxone Protocol: A Mixed-methods Study
- A focused review of cardiovascular guideline related recommendations for the primary care physician in the USA
- Utilization and Costs by Primary Care Provider Type: Are There Differences Among Diabetic Patients of Physicians, Nurse Practitioners, and Physician Assistants?
- Seeking a balanced approach to implementing sepsis guidelines
- Improving SBIRT in a nurse-managed clinic serving homeless patients with substance use disorder