Office of Health Equity
Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminar Series
This session has been cancelled.
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
12PM - 1PM
Title: Antiracism Resources and the Impact of Racism within VA
The topic of racism is pervasive in current conversations and news events. Race, racism, discrimination and related topics are often sensitive and difficult topics to deal with and evoke personal emotions. These topics affect us in group settings especially our places of employment. Learn more about accessing antiracism, discrimination and diversity resources and examine the impact of racism within VA.
|Loretta E. Braxton, PhD
Coordinator, Disruptive Behavior Team & Staff Psychologist, Durham VA Health Care System; Member, Antiracism and Black Equity Advisory Board, Durham VA Health Care System; Member, VHA Workplace Violence Prevention Program Diversity & Inclusion Technical Advisory Group; Founding Co-Chair, Multicultural & Diversity Committee, VHA Psychology Training Council
Jessica Fulton, PhD
Co-Chair, Antiracism and Black Equity Advisory Board, Durham VA Health Care System; Staff Psychologist, Rehabilitation, Geriatrics, Palliative and Hospice Care, Durham VA Health Care System; Psychology Internship Training Director, Durham VA Medical Center; Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Behavioral Medicine Division, Duke University School of Medicine; Senior Fellow, Duke Center for Aging and Human Development
Researchers, clinicians, care coordinators, policy makers, educators, data analysts, Veteran stakeholders and representatives of vulnerable Veteran groups who are interested in understanding and/or promoting equitable health among all Veterans.
Use the following links, or continue reading on this page, for information on:
About the Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminars
The VHA Office of Health Equity (OHE) in partnership with the VA Health Services Research and Development (HSR&D) launched the Focus on Health Equity and Action Cyberseminars. Each cyberseminar spotlights activities that promote the implementation of the VHA Health Equity Action Plan (HEAP), and aims to:
- Catalyze, synergize, and coordinate VHA programs, projects, and initiatives to effectively identify, understand, seek and implement solutions to diminish and where possible eliminate health disparities;
- Demonstrate alignment with other federal partners working to achieve health equity;
- Bring focus to VHA efforts to provide a more equitable, individualized and patient-driven health care delivery system;
- Improve overall quality of care through equity in all policies and the achievement of health equity for all;
- Incorporate the innovative ideas and input of all users in order to encourage a bottom up approach while maintaining a strong connection to the overarching goals of the VA;
- Capitalize on the existing network of advocates and programs in both administrative and clinical realms to weave health equity dialogue and cultural attunement into training and other activities within and outside the health care system; and
- Serve as a guide and/or starting place that would remain a living document which is open to modification and adaptation to continuously meet the needs of the Veterans entrusted to the VHA.