Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
Eastern Colorado GRECC
Home | Research | Education | Clinical | Fellowships | OVET | Investigators & Team | Resources | Contact Us
Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center
The goal of Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (EC-GRECC) is to improve the health of older Veterans through the development of innovative research, clinical and educational initiatives. We focus our training efforts on translating existing and new geriatrics knowledge and skills into clinical practice at the local, regional, and national levels. These efforts build on the substantial geriatrics educational and training activities at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center and leverage important resources from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
An Age-Friendly Health System - Committed to Care Excellence
Age-friendly health systems is a movement of hundreds of health care facilities committed to ensuring that all older adults receive evidence-based care. This means that Eastern Colorado GRECC is working towards reliable practice of evidence-based interventions for all older adults in their care known as the 4-Ms (What Matters, Medications, Mentation, Mobility).
In that effort, the Tele-Dementia/Geriatrics and Tele-Palliative Care Clinics have been recognized as Level 2 Committed to Care Excellence of the nationwide age-friendly health systems movement. These clinics now have three months of verified data to demonstrate early impact of using the 4-Ms Framework:
- What Matters - Know and align care with each older adult's specific health outcome goals and care preferences including, but not limited to, end-of-life care, and across care settings.
- Medication - If medication is necessary, use Age-Friendly medications that does not interfere with What Matters to the older adult, Mobility, or Mentation across care settings.
- Mentation - Prevent, identify, treat, and manage dementia, depression, and delirium across care settings.
- Mobility - Ensure that older adults move safely every day in order to maintain function and do What Matters.
Wendy M. Kohrt, PhD
- Title:Acting EC GRECC Director
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jennifer Stevens-Lapsley, PT PhD
- Title: Associate Director for Research
- Contact: email@example.com
Kathryn Nearing, PhD, MA
- Title: Associate director education and evaluation and founder, coordinator and facilitator of the Older Veteran Engagement Team
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Abbate, MD PhD
Associate Director Clinical
- Contact: email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
Elizabeth Juarez-Colunga, PhD
- Title: Associate Director, Informatics
Eric Qualls - Administrative officer
Norma Rogers - Administrative support assistant
The research of Eastern Colorado GRECC focuses on:
- Consequences and treatments of obesity in older adults
- Gender differences in health (focusing on women’s health)
Learn more about our Research Core and additional areas of research.
The Eastern Colorado GRECC focuses its training efforts on translating existing and new geriatrics knowledge and skills into clinical practice at the local, regional and national levels. These efforts build on the substantial geriatrics educational and training activities at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center and leverage important resources from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
Learn more about our Education Core and opportunities.
Eastern Colorado GRECC is a hub of clinical innovation committed to creating systems of support for Veterans as they age and across the continuum of care, regardless of geography. We participate in national clinical dissemination projects, including GRECC Connect and Gerofit.
Learn more about our Clinical Core and GRECC Connect and Gerofit.