Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
Research AIMs: At the Leading Edge – Improving Veteran Health – Making an Impact
At the Leading Edge
Over 60 of the nation’s VA Medical Centers have at least one health care setting recognized by the Institute for Healthcare Improvement (IHI) as age-friendly.
VA’s 20 GRECCs are at the leading edge of conducting research that will result in better care and outcomes for older Veterans and all older adults. Each GRECC partners with at least one affiliate university and together the GRECCs and their affiliates have the infrastructure in place to conduct multi-site studies.
Examples of current research at 5 of our nation’s GRECCs include:
- Bronx GRECC: A Geriatric ED Innovation Program with Cost Outcomes Among Medicare Beneficiaries https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33646311/
- Madison GRECC: An examination of a novel multi-panel of CSF biomarkers in the Alzheimer's disease clinical and pathological continuum https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33336877/
- Multiple GRECCs: Transition to Telehealth Group Exercise and Assessments in Response to COVID-19 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33403222/
- Palo Alto GRECC: Converting a Geriatrics Clinic to Virtual Visits during COVID-19 https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33729044/
- Puget Sound GRECC: Glia-specific APOE epigenetic changes in the Alzheimer's disease brain https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30081037/
Note: Return to the navigation menu to Locations and choose a specific GRECC site to view a selection of their most recent publications.
Improving Veteran Health
- Cleveland GRECC: Feasibility of a Nursing Home Antibiotic Stewardship Intervention https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34506771/
- Pittsburgh GRECC: Feasibility of an Academic Detailing Intervention to Support Deprescribing in the Nursing Home https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34324872/
- Tennessee Valley GRECC: Improving the Assessment and Documentation of Patient Mobility https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33561614/
Making an Impact
- Birmingham/Atlanta GRECC: Integrated Management and Polypharmacy Review of Vulnerable Elders (IMPROVE) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29532466/
- Multiple GRECCs: Coordinate Transition Care (CTraC) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31081946/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24639602/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26804896/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23213150/.
- Multiple GRECCs: AssiSTed EaRly Mobility for HospitalizeD Older Veterans (STRIDE) https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27409075/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27409075/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30775370/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34842733/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35319083/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31246777/
- Multiple GRECCs: GRECC Connect https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31768097/, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24397348/,