Office of Survivors Assistance
VHA CHAMPVA Resources for Survivors
VHAs Health Administration Center (HAC) administers federal health benefit programs for veterans and their family members. These benefit programs include:
- Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) including:
- CHAMPVA In House Treatment Initiative (CITI)
CHAMPVA is a comprehensive health care program in which the VA shares the cost of covered health care services and supplies with eligible beneficiaries.
- Fact Sheet http://www.va.gov/hac/factsheets/champva/FactSheet01-04.pdf
- Participant Handbook http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/handbook.asp
- Providers Policy Manual (includes Covered Services) CHAMPVA Policy Manual
CHAMPVA In House Treatment Initiative (CITI) allows for the CHAMPVA beneficiary to be treated at participating VA Medical Centers with no out of pocket cost.
CHAMPVA Meds by Mail program is a cost-free pharmacy mailing service for eligible CHAMPVA beneficiaries to receive non-urgent maintenance medications delivered directly to their home. CHAMPVA beneficiaries are eligible if they don’t have ANY other type of health insurance that pays for prescriptions. Meds by Mail is only for people without other prescription coverage including Medicare.