Office of Small & Disadvantaged Business Utilization
Recognizing that small firms often do not have the capability to perform as a prime contractor on certain large contracts, VA promotes the involvement of small businesses at the subcontract level. VA requires that any contractor receiving a contract for more than $10,000 shall agree that small business concerns have the maximum practicable opportunity to participate in contracts awarded by the Department. Furthermore, all prime contracts not awarded to small businesses, in excess of $1,500,000 million for construction and $700,000 for all others, which offer subcontracting opportunities must contain a subcontracting plan. Each subcontracting plan must contain percentage goals for the maximum practicable utilization of small business concerns, small disadvantaged business concerns, and women owned small business concerns.
To carry out this program, OSDBU:
- Recommends informational goals for solicitations.
- Reviews subcontracting plans and offers recommendations.
- Monitors compliance with subcontracting plans.
- Participates in prebid conferences and conducts small business workshops to provide Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned, Veteran-Owned, Small, Small Disadvantaged, and Women-Owned Small business firms the opportunity to present their capabilities to prime contractors.
Sub-contracting can be a great way for small businesses to enter the federal marketplace. The following resources can help in locating Government-wide sub-contracting opportunities:
- VA Subcontracting Directories – Contain information on current VA prime contractors and contracts held. Small businesses are encouraged to reach out to these prime contractors for future subcontracting opportunities.
- Active VA construction projects valued over $1,500,000 million
- Active VA other-than-construction projects valued over $700,000.
- Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Sub-Contracting Opportunities Directory
- SUB-Net database — also maintained by SBA contains hundreds of sub-contract opportunities posted by large business and other organizations