Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.
Attention A T users. To access the combo box on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Press the alt key and then the down arrow. 2. Use the up and down arrows to navigate this combo box. 3. Press enter on the item you wish to view. This will take you to the page listed.
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Office of Administration (OA)


Transit Benefits FAQs

Question Answer
Under what condition can I drive to work while receiving transit subsidy benefits? To receive VA transit subsidy, an employee must agree to use mass transportation for all or part of their commute from their residence to and/or from work on a daily basis. Employees working at receiving subsidy benefits may request authority to drive to work from their Transit Manager on an extremely limited basis. This authority may be granted no more than three days a month in emergency situations or exigent circumstances.
What does daily commute to and/or from work mean? Using some form of mass transportation when commuting on a daily basis to and from work, or commuting one way to work or from work. In any case, the employee is only entitled to subsidy for the actual amount spent for the type of commute taken.
Can I be listed on a Government parking permit or receive subsidized parking, and also receive subsidy benefits? Employees must relinquish their government parking permits or passes to receive transit benefits, and cannot be counted as part of a carpool for the purpose of qualifying for a government parking pass or permit.
Can I use my subsidy anyway I want? The subsidy amount you receive is based upon the amount it takes you to commute from home to and/or from work each day, and is not based on any other purpose such as training, local travel, or personal reasons. Selling or giving your subsidy away is forbidden.
Are all transit participants authorized the $125 maximum subsidy amount? Your transit expenses are calculated on the actual amount you spend on mass transportation per month. If your costs are less than $125 a month, you only qualify for the actual amount you spend. If your mass transit costs exceed the maximum, VA will only subsidize $125 per month and you must pay the difference out of pocket.
How often am I required to complete a Transit Application? A Transit Application must be completed whenever you change your home address, VA organization, station, or the amount of your transit costs change. Failure to do so may cause suspension of benefits. For audit purposes all employees participating in the Transit Benefit Program may be required to re-certify the information on the Application for Transit Fare Benefit (VA Form 0722 Revised Feb 2012) periodically or be terminated from participation in the Transit Program.
Am I authorized transit subsidy if I telecommute? Telecommuters qualify to receive transit subsidy providing they take mass transportation whenever they commute to work, and only calculate the cost for the actual number of days per month that they commute.
Do I use my subsidy benefits for training or official VA business? No. Each VA organization provides metro fare cards for local travel or the employee may be reimbursed by submitting a local travel authority.
May I drive or ride to and from work in privately owned vehicles and still keep my transit benefits? You have agreed “to use mass transit for their (your) daily commute...” to and/ or from work. If you drive or accept a ride to and or from work you must receive permission from the transit manager or designated official and verify that it was an emergency. Permission may be granted no more than three times a month.
How can I report someone who is misusing transit subsidies? All employees have a duty to report fraud and abuse of transit benefits to appropriate officials at their facilities. Such officials may be the employee’s supervisor, another management official, a member of the human resources employee relations staff, or the Transit Manager at that facility. Management officials will report allegations to the Office of the Inspector General (OIG). Employees can also report misuse directly to the OIG. Employees wishing to remain anonymous may call the OIG Hotline (1-800-488-8244) and should provide sufficient information for the OIG to evaluate and pursue the allegations.