The VA Center for Faith and Opportunity Initiative (CFOI) can help your faith-based, nonprofit, or community/neighborhood organization by:
- Collaborative brainstorming and coordination of training sessions for clergy, congregations, and community groups/members. Examples include:
- Recognizing and addressing the spiritual and emotional needs of returning Veterans.
- Assisting families after the transition from active-duty Servicemember to Veterans status.
- How to reach Veterans in specific demographics or with special needs.
Serving as a resource and referral point for your organization and providing information at your organization's local, regional, and national events.
- Hosting quarterly conference calls on various topics targeting faith-based, nonprofit, and community group stakeholders. Conference call topics have included the following:
- The New Health Care Law and its impact on Veterans
- Assisting Veterans in Rural Areas
- Grant Funding under the Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) Program
Organizations Helping the VA CFOI
Your faith-based, nonprofit, or community/neighborhood organization can help the VA CFOI in the following ways:
- Let us know of gaps you see in services to Veterans in your organization and community.
- Volunteer to host a forum, workshop, or conference on an issue facing Veterans, their families, Survivors, caregivers, and other beneficiaries. We will work with you to secure the appropriate speakers and written materials.
Your faith-based, nonprofit, or community/neighborhood organization can help Veterans in the following ways:
- Provide Veterans with transportation to medical appointments.
- Help recently housed Veterans obtain furniture and housing supplies.
- Educate yourself, Veterans, and others about VA benefits and services and how a Veteran can apply for them.
- Learn the signs of a Veteran or a Veteran's family member in distress.
- Encourage Veterans to use the VA services she or he has earned.
- Volunteer with the VA Voluntary Service.
- Visit a hospitalized Veteran.
- Provide drop-ff child care services for a Veteran family with young children.
- Establish a Veterans/Military Ministry.