Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC)
Eastern Colorado GRECC
Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center
The goal of Eastern Colorado Geriatric Research, Education and Clinical Center (EC-GRECC) is to improve the health of older Veterans through the development of innovative research, clinical and educational initiatives. We focus our training efforts on translating existing and new geriatrics knowledge and skills into clinical practice at the local, regional, and national levels. These efforts build on the substantial geriatrics educational and training activities at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center and leverage important resources from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
An Age-Friendly Health System - Committed to Care Excellence
Age-friendly health systems is a movement of hundreds of health care facilities committed to ensuring that all older adults receive evidence-based care. This means that Eastern Colorado GRECC is working towards reliable practice of evidence-based interventions for all older adults in their care known as the 4-Ms (What Matters, Medications, Mentation, Mobility).
In that effort, the Tele-Dementia/Geriatrics and Tele-Palliative Care Clinics have been recognized as Level 2 Committed to Care Excellence of the nationwide age-friendly health systems movement. These clinics now have three months of verified data to demonstrate early impact of using the 4-Ms Framework:
- What Matters - Know and align care with each older adult's specific health outcome goals and care preferences including, but not limited to, end-of-life care, and across care settings.
- Medication - If medication is necessary, use Age-Friendly medications that does not interfere with What Matters to the older adult, Mobility, or Mentation across care settings.
- Mentation - Prevent, identify, treat, and manage dementia, depression, and delirium across care settings.
- Mobility - Ensure that older adults move safely every day in order to maintain function and do What Matters.
- Jennifer Stevens-Lapsley, PT PhD
- Title: Associate Director for Research
- Contact: email@example.com
- Kathryn Nearing, PhD, MA
- Title: Associate director education and evaluation and founder, coordinator and facilitator of the Older Veteran Engagement Team
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Daniel Matlock, MD
- Title: Associate Director Clinical Innovations
Associate Professor, Geriatric Medicine
- Contact: email@example.com
Eric Qualls - Administrative officer
Danielle Crowley, LPN - Administrative Support Assistant
The Research Core includes:
- Research Areas Associated with VA Geriatrics and Extended Care
- Studies Currently Recruiting
- Current Grants
The Eastern Colorado GRECC focuses its training efforts on translating existing and new geriatrics knowledge and skills into clinical practice at the local, regional and national levels. These efforts build on the substantial geriatrics educational and training activities at the Rocky Mountain Regional VA Medical Center and leverage important resources from the University of Colorado School of Medicine.
In the Education Core you will find:
- Geriatric Grand Rounds - Upcoming and recorded medical grand rounds with the University of Colorado School of Medicine Department of Geriatrics.
- GRECC Health Professions Training Program - training the workforce of the VA healthcare system.
- Recent Publications - our current publications and links to 2020.
- National Aging Education for January 2024 - For staff and trainees interested in aging education! Of note, if you have specific questions about a link or other details of a training, please reach out to the Point of Contact (POC) listed in the table.
- Select Presentations - presentations and posters from national and international conferences.
Eastern Colorado GRECC is a hub of clinical innovation committed to creating systems of support for Veterans as they age and across the continuum of care, regardless of geography. We participate in national clinical dissemination projects, including GRECC Connect and Gerofit.
In the Clinical Core you will find: