VHA Pain Management
VA CLINICIAN AND RESEARCHER - Important Links and Foundational Research
Research Priorities Pain/Opioid CORE Portfolio SearchThe overall goal of the Pain/Opioid Core is to foster high-quality, high-impact, and Veteran-centered research focused on improving care for and reducing opioid harms by building a network of researchers and promoting interdisciplinary, cross-institutional research collaborations.
- Pain/Opioid CORE website - https://pain-opioid-research.umn.edu/*
- Pain/Opioid CORE Researcher Resources page: - https://pain-opioid-research.umn.edu/research-resources/researchers*
Pain Research Working Group (PRWG) Website
The Veterans Health Administration Pain Research Working Group (PRWG) was developed to support one of the key objectives of the VHA National Pain Management Strategy, namely "Identifying research opportunities and priorities in pain management and facilitating collaborative research efforts."
Four specific objectives of the PRWG have been articulated:
- Establishment of a network of VHA pain-relevant scientists and scholars;
- Increase number of VHA funded investigator-initiated and multi-site pain-relevant research projects;
- Development of an agenda for health systems/health policy research designed to support the National Pain Management Strategy goals;
- Development of a VHA research policy agenda designed to establish pain-relevant research as a priority.
Links to PRWG slides and recordings (or link to Pain/Opioid CORE website).
VA Office of Research & Development (ORD)
- Research Quarterly Updates: https://www.research.va.gov/pubs/varqu/
- Pain Research Web Page: https://www.research.va.gov/topics/pain.cfm
VA Research Programs:
- Health Services Research and Development Service (HSR&D) - http://www.research.va.gov/services/hsrd.cfm
- Rehabilitation Research and Development Service (RR&D) - http://www.research.va.gov/services/rrd.cf
Pain Research and Educational Websites
|VA Office of Research & Development (ORD)||The ORD website serves as a resource for VA-funded researchers and research staff to learn about new funding opportunities, updated guidance and deadlines, and other topics of interest. Specific research programs can be accessed through this portal or the links below. Click here to see the latest VA Solicitations for Research Proposals. http://www.research.va.gov/funding/solicitations/default.cfm#All_ORD)|
|National Pain Foundation *||This non-profit organization is a great place to start your research on dealing with chronic pain.|
|NIH Pain Consortium *||Established to enhance pain research and promote collaboration among researchers across the many NIH Institutes and Centers that have programs and activities addressing pain. The consortium supports initiatives, development of research resources and tools, and hosts events to promote collaboration and highlight advances in pain research.|
|American Academy of Pain Medicine *||AAPM is the medical specialty society representing physicians and their team members practicing in the field of pain medicine. The Academy is involved in education, training, advocacy, and research in the specialty of pain medicine.|
|Practical Pain Management *||PPM helps clinicians navigate the latest research in pain to bring these benefits to their patients.|
|Pain Medicine News *||Pain Medicine News presents in-depth clinical reviews written by thought leaders, cutting-edge practice management articles, medical education and CME activities.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov *||ClinicalTrials.gov is a database of privately and publicly funded clinical studies conducted around the world. It is a resource provided by the U.S. National Library of Medicine.|
Researcher and Clinician - Resource Topics of Interest
Literature Alerts for VA Staff
The VA Library Network will provide VA staff an index of recent articles related to opioids and many other areas of interest right to your work mailbox. If you are interested in subscribing to this alert click here.
If you have questions or suggestions for pain-related resources to share, please send an email to VHA Pain Management Webmaster Group. Please do not submit any personal healthcare information. Questions about personal care should be directed to the local VA facility.
Disclaimer: *Links will take you outside of the Department of Veterans Affairs Website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked websites.