Office of Academic Affiliations
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The Veterans Health Administration (VHA) Office of Academic Affiliations (OAA) is committed to diversity, equity and inclusion as we train America’s future health professionals. Working with our academic partners, we develop strategic initiatives designed to reflect the diversity of the Veteran population we serve. OAA seeks to prepare a diverse, culturally attuned health care workforce pipeline focused on advancing excellence and engagement.
Current Initiatives Include:
- 2021 Minority Summit: The Power of Collaborating with VA
- Establishing more partnership affiliations with Minority Serving Institutions (MSIs) and Teague-Cranston institutions to broaden diversity among VA Health Professions Trainees (HPTs) across VA’s 1,000 sites of care
- Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act of 2014 (VACAA) Graduate Medical Education (GME) expansion that authorizes 1,500 new physician training positions in the areas and specialties where they are most needed
- Rural Interprofessional Faculty Development Initiative (RIFDI), which expands health professions education in rural areas to develop a highly qualified health care workforce prepared to meet the needs of rural Veterans
- National Academic Affiliations Council (NAAC) Diversity in the Healthcare Workforce Subcommittee, which advises the NAAC on best practices for promoting diversity in the HPT workforce and on educational relationships with MSIs
- MISSION Act, Section 304 established scholarships for Veteran medical students in the Teague-Cranston and Historically Black College and University medical schools
- Download the summit’s Save the date
- Read related VAntage Point blog, VA’s Academic Affiliations Increase Health Care Workforce Diversity Empowering Vulnerable Communities to Become #VaccineReady
- Read related VAntage Point blog, Army Veteran awarded VA medical school scholarship “Veterans Healing Veterans” to shape diverse workforce, January 11, 2021
- Find out more about VA’s academic mission by watching this video
For More Information
For inquiries about this virtual event, email VHACOOAASummitSupport@va.gov.