Advisory Committee on Women Veterans
The Advisory Committee on Women Veterans (ACWV) was established and chartered in November 1983 by Public Law 98-160. The Advisory Committee on Women Veterans assesses the needs of women Veterans, with respect to VA programs such as compensation, rehabilitation, outreach, healthcare, etc. The Committee reviews VA’s programs, activities, research projects and other initiatives designed to meet the needs of women Veterans; and makes recommendations to the Secretary on ways to improve, modify, and affect change in programs and services for women Veterans and follows up on all those recommendations.
Advisory Committee Reports and Meeting Minutes
The Advisory Committee prepares and issues various reports, summaries, and proceedings addressing issues related to Women Veterans. Learn more »
- Betty Yarbrough Kewanee, IL. A retired U.S. Army Colonel, with deployments in support of Operations Desert Shield/Desert Storm and Operation Enduring Freedom, and past military director of the Defense Advisory Committee on Women in the Services; currently serves as Committee Chair.
- April Beldo-Lilley, San Antonio, TX. A retired U.S. Navy Fleet Master Chief; currently serves as director of human resources for a company that provides professional services to the Federal government, where she manages the company’s overall provision of human resources services, policies, and programs.
- Tiffany Daugherty, Ponte Vedra, FL. An U.S. Army Veteran; currently serves as Vice President and U.S. Head of Military and Veterans Outreach for an international financial services company.
- Linda L. Handley, Kunkletown, PA. A retired U.S. Navy Command Master Chief, with service in Desert Storm; currently serves as a Veterans’ advocate, focusing on the needs of women Veterans and Veterans’ spouses/significant others.
- Octavia Harris, San Antonio, TX. A retired U.S. Navy Command Master Chief, with service in Desert Shield/Desert Storm, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Operation Enduring Freedom; currently serves as a Veterans’ advocate and independent consultant.
- Lisa Kirk, Stuart, FL. A retired Maryland Air National Guard Lieutenant Colonel and a doctor of public health; currently serves as a lifetime member of Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Director of DAV’s National Service Foundation, and ACWV Health Subcommittee Vice Chair.
- Marianne Mathewson-Chapman, Treasure Island, FL. A retired U.S. Army Major General, with service in Operation Desert Storm; currently serves as an independent consultant, collaborating with organizations to improve care, benefits, and services for Veterans and Servicemembers.
- Moses McIntosh, Hephzibah, GA. A retired U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer 2 and past national commander of Disabled American Veterans (DAV); currently active in DAV’s initiatives addressing the needs of all Veterans.
- Shannon McLaughlin, Esq., Sharon, MA. A Lieutenant Colonel serving full-time in the Massachusetts National Guard, with overseas service in Operation Enduring Freedom; currently serves as the State Judge Advocate for the Massachusetts National Guard and ACWV Health Subcommittee Vice Chair.
- Sandra Miller, Birdsboro, PA. A U. S. Navy Veteran, with service during the Vietnam era; currently serves as Chair of Vietnam Veterans of America’s (VVA) National Homeless Committee and has membership on several of VVA’s National committees.
- Lachrisha Parker, Gaithersburg, MD. A retired U.S. Army Reserve Master Sergeant; currently serves as senior executive administrator to the vice president and chief of operation officer for a real estate investment banking group.
- Wanda Wright, Tempe, AZ. A retired U.S. Air Force Colonel; currently serves as the director of the Arizona Department of Veterans Services, where she is a state cabinet member, providing leadership and direction for administering benefits and services to Veterans and their dependents.