Pain management resources for Veterans, Veterans' family members, caregivers, VA administrators, clinicians, and researchers.
Provider Resources Within VA
Provider section presents up to date pain management information, to include pain education and pain management resources.
VA/DOD 2017 Clinical Practice
New evidence-based guidelines to assist providers in all aspects of long-term opioid therapy.
Transforming VA Pain Care
The Six Essentials Elements of Good Pain Care
1. Educate Veterans/families to promote self-efficacy and shared decision making; provide access to all relevant resources
2. Educate/train all team members to their discipline specific competencies, including team based care
3. Develop and integrate non-pharmacological modalities into care plans
4. Institute evidence based medication prescribing, use of pain procedures and safe opioid use (universal precautions)
5. Implement approaches for bringing the Veteran’s whole team together such as virtual pain consulting (SCAN-ECHO, e-consults, tele-health, clinical video tele-consultation and education) and for maintaining ongoing communication between team members
6. Establish metrics to monitor pain care and outcomes at both the individual level and the population level
National Pain Newsletter
Click here (PDF) to see what's happening in Pain Management today, in the March 2019 issue...
For previous newsletters, see our newsletter web page.
Opioids - Literature Alerts for VA Staff
The VA Library Network will provide VA staff an index of recent articles related to opioids and many other areas of interest right to your work mailbox. If you are interested in subscribing to this alert, visit the VHA National Desktop Library Literature e-Alerts page and the Weekly PubMed/MEDLINE Alerts section to sign up.
Link out to full text articles using the blue VA Library Full Text icon: If an article of interest does not have a VA Library Full Text icon, search your library’s online journals and online books listing with the citation’s PubMed ID or journal title to check for a local subscription. Contact your local VA library if you need assistance retrieving full text articles (please note, this library directory is only available on the VA Intranet).
1st Tuesday of every Month
• Date: June 4, 2019
• Speaker(s): Jeff Goodie, PhD, ABPP & Don McGeary, PhD
• Title: Targeting Chronic Pain in Primary Care Settings Using Internal Behavioral Health Consultants
• Time: 11:00am-12:00pm EST
To join the HSR&D CyberSeminar ListServ and receive the monthly call reminder, please send your name and email address to: HSRD.CyberSeminar@va.gov .
To access past Cyberseminars link: http://www.hsrd.research.va.gov/cyberseminars/catalog-archive.cfm?#Archived (filter on - Spotlight on Pain Management)
VHA Pain Listserv: If you are interested in joining the VA Pain ListServ, please click here for more information! The VHA Pain Listserv provides VA pain practitioners and researchers with a forum for the exchange of information and ideas.
Get started by learning about the pain management resources that are available to patients and providers through the VA
Explore useful pain management information, to include pain education and pain management resources. This website facilitates effective pain management by providing convenient, centralized access to resources for the provision of pain services within the VA healthcare system
VA supports research to create innovations and advance pain management health care.
New research about chronic pain is helping doctors with better diagnosis and treatment. Given the high prevalence of pain and associated disability in the veteran population, research addressing the mechanisms, assessment, and management of pain has been designated as a priority by many federal funding agencies.
If you have questions or suggestions for pain-related resources to share with other Veterans, VA researchers, clinicians or administrators, please send an email to VHAPainManagementWebEditor@va.gov.