Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Minneapolis VA Health Care System Research Service

Quick Links
Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge

Submitting a Non-VA Grant

How do I submit a Non-VA grant?

Grants from other Federal agencies, private industry, or foundations are not submitted through the Research Office. While such grants support VA research, and represent a substantial portion of our program's research funding, VA cannot directly receive funds from other Federal agencies, and potential financial conflict of interest could arise between VA and industry. VA resolves these issues by ensuring funds from such sources are administered by VA-affiliated non-profit corporations (VA-NPCs) or affiliated academic institutions.

Established under 38 USC § 7361, VA-NPCs provide legal separation between VA and other Federal agencies or private sector funding entities. The Minneapolis VA-NPC is the Center for Veterans Research & Education (CVRE).
Academic Affiliates
VA has maintained affiliations with academic institutions for over 75 years. The Minneapolis VA academic affiliation with the University of Minnesota (UMN) was established in 1946, and remains one of the longest-standing academic affiliations in the VA.

Grants from the DOD are submitted through and administered by CVRE. Grants from other Federal agencies, such as NIH, are administered either by CVRE or through your affiliated department at UMN, with subawards through CVRE as appropriate. Funding from sources other than Federal agencies, such as industry-sponsored studies or studies funded by private foundations, should always be administered through CVRE.

For guidance, refer to the RDC "Administration of Research Funds" SOP.

University of Minnesota

For assistance with submissions through the University of Minnesota, investigators affiliated with the Medical School should refer to the UMN Medical School Pre-Award and Proposal Development Services website. This new pre-award site focuses on Medical School faculty with VA Medical Center joint appointments who conduct research via the University. It includes memorandum of understanding guidance, FAQs, templates, and sample language for proposal development. For assistance, contact Erin Brudvik, VA Medical Center/Medical School Research Manager.

University of Minnesota affiliates outside of the Medical School should contact their departmental Sponsored Projects Grants & Contract Officer.

Center for Veterans Research & Education

For assistance with submissions through CVRE, email the CVRE Grants & Contracts Administrator. For details such as rate agreements, forms, policies or procedures, refer to the CVRE website.