Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

VHA Office of Community Care


Quick Links

Veterans Crisis Line Badge
My healthevet badge
EBenefits Badge

How to Apply for CHAMPVA

If you provide all of the required and optional documents, and if your application is complete, then it takes approximately six weeks after we get your package until you get your CHAMPVA identification card and related materials.

If you provide only the required documents, and not the optional documents, processing can take two to eight months since we have to confirm information with other federal agencies.

Once we get your application, we will review it to be sure it is complete and that all the required forms are included. If your application is not complete, we will return it to you with further instructions. For additional information, please refer to Fact Sheet 01-03: Instructions for CHAMPVA Applicants.

Required Documents

To apply for CHAMPVA benefits, you must submit the following documents:

Optional Documents

You can speed the processing of your application if you also send copies (do not send originals):

  • Birth certificate/adoption papers for children
  • School certification of full-time enrollment for children ages 18-23
    (See Fact Sheet 01-15: School Enrollment Certification Requirements for CHAMPVA Benefits for more information.)
  • If you are a remarried widow/widower and are once again single, provide a copy of the legal documentation that terminated the remarriage. The legal documentation of termination of a remarriage may be a divorce decree, death certificate or annulment decree.
  • The page from the VBA rating decision showing the Veteran is permanently and totally disabled (or death rating for a survivor)
  • Veteran's DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or if the Veteran was a WWII or Korea veteran, the Report of Separation. If you do not have a copy of the necessary form, you may request it by submitting a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, from the National Archives.

How to Request Military Personnel Files


Fax: 314-801-9195

National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis, MO 63138

Instructions about who can request Official Military Personnel Files and the information required can be viewed on the National Archives Veterans' Service Records page at

Application Submission

Before sending your application, please ensure the application is signed and dated. Also, if applying for a spouse, please include the date of marriage on the application.

VHA Office of Community Care
CHAMPVA Eligibility
PO Box 469028
Denver, CO 80246-9028

Fax: 303-331-7809