VHA Office of Community Care
How to Apply for CHAMPVA
If you provide all of the required and optional documents, and if your application is complete, then it takes approximately six weeks after we get your package until you get your CHAMPVA identification card and related materials.
If you provide only the required documents, and not the optional documents, processing can take two to eight months since we have to confirm information with other federal agencies.
Once we get your application, we will review it to be sure it is complete and that all the required forms are included. If your application is not complete, we will return it to you with further instructions.
For additional information, please refer to the Instructions for CHAMPVA Applicants Fact Sheet.
To apply for CHAMPVA benefits, you must submit the following documents:
- Application for CHAMPVA Benefits, VA Form 10-10d
- Other Health Insurance (OHI) Certification, VA Form 10-7959c | Forma VA 10‑7959c en Español
- For individuals who are eligible for Medicare for any reason, we need a copy of your Medicare card
- If you are age 65 or older and not entitled to Medicare, you must send documentation from the Social Security Administration that confirms you are not entitled to Medicare benefits under anyone's social security number
You can speed the processing of your application if you also send copies (do not send originals):
- The page from the VBA rating decision showing the Veteran is permanently and totally disabled (or death rating for a survivor)
- Veteran's DD214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, or if the Veteran was a WWII or Korea veteran, the Report of Separation. If you do not have a copy of the necessary form, you may request it by submitting a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records, from the National Archives.
- If you are a remarried widow/widower and are once again single, provide a copy of the legal documentation that terminated the remarriage. The legal documentation of termination of a remarriage may be a divorce decree, death certificate or annulment decree.
- Birth certificate/adoption papers for children
- School certification of full-time enrollment for children ages 18-23
See the School Enrollment Certification Requirements for CHAMPVA Benefits Fact Sheet for more information.
VHA Office of Community Care
PO Box 469028
Denver CO 80246-9028
IMPORTANT: Ensure the application is signed and dated. Also, if applying for a spouse, please include the date of marriage on the application.
How to Request Military Personnel Files
Instructions about who can request Official Military Personnel Files and the information required to locate them can be viewed on the National Archives Veterans' Service Records website.
Online: National Archives Veterans' Service Records
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
1 Archives Drive
St. Louis MO 63138