Office of Resolution Management, Diversity & Inclusion (ORMDI)
Reasonable Accommodation (RA) & Personal Assistance Services (PAS) for Employees and Applicants with Disabilities
Chief of Reasonable Accommodation
Dr. Andree’ M. Sutton
Reasonable Accommodation (RA). In general, an accommodation is a change in the work environment or in the way things are customarily done that would enable an individual with a disability to enjoy equal employment opportunities. The law requires federal agencies to provide reasonable accommodation to an employee or job applicant with a disability, unless doing so would cause significant difficulty or expense for the employer ("undue hardship"). https://www.eeoc.gov/disability-discrimination
- Apply for a job;
- Perform the duties of a job; or
- Enjoy the benefits and privileges of employment.
Personal Assistance Services (PAS). PAS provide employees with targeted disabilities "assistance with performing activities of daily living that an individual would typically perform if they did not have a disability, and that is not otherwise required as a reasonable accommodation.
- On January 3, 2017, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) issued a Final Rule [PDF] amending the regulations implementing Section 501 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. (29 C.F.R. §§ 1614.203, 601(f))
- PAS allow employees to participate in the workplace.
- PAS means assistance with performing activities of daily living that an individual would typically perform if he or she did not have a disability, and that is not otherwise required as a reasonable accommodation.
- Agencies are required to provide PAS as a form of affirmative action that goes beyond nondiscrimination obligations.
- Agencies are required to provide PAS to current employees and future employees.
- Agencies are required to provide PAS during telework.
- Agencies are required to provide PAS during employer-sponsored events such as a holiday party.
|VA Handbook 5975.1, Processing Requests for Reasonable Accommodation [PDF]||U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Reasonable Accommodation Handbook|
|U.S. Department of Defense's Computer Accommodation Program (CAP)||Provide assistive technology and accommodation to support individuals with disability throughout the federal government|
|The Rehabilitation Act of 1973||Prohibits discrimination based on disability and encourages employment within the federal sector|
|The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990||Prohibits discrimination and encourages employment for individuals who have disabilities within both the private and public sector|
|American with Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008||Expanded the definition of what was covered as a disability to allow more people to be covered under the law|
- ORM Reasonable Accomdation Services
- Veterans Affairs Central Office
- Office of Information Technology
- Veterans Health Administration
- Veterans Benefits Administration
- National Cemetery Administration
- VA National Reasonable Accommodations
- VA Handbook 5975.1, Processing Requests for Reasonable Accommodation [PDF]
- Procedures for Providing Personal Assistance Services for Individuals with Disabilities
- VA Form 0857a, Written Confirmation of Request for Accommodation [PDF]
- VA Form 0857b, Acknowledgement of Receipt of Request [PDF]
- VA Form 0857c, Approval of Interim Accommodation [PDF]
- VA Form 0857d, Administrative Closure of Accommodation Request [PDF]
- VA Form 0857e, Request for Medical Documentation [PDF]
- VA Form 0857f, Accommodation Request Determination [PDF]
- VA Form 0857g, Denial of Accommodation Request [PDF]
- VA Form 0857h, Employee Limitations on Reassignment Options [PDF]
- VA Form 0857i, Centralized Accommodation Fund Application [PDF]
- VA Form 0857j, Offer of Reassignment [PDF]
- VA Form 0857k, Authorization for Limited Release,
of Medical Information [PDF]
- CDC Report: Prevalence of Disability and Disability Type Among Adults
- Job Accommodation Network
- Computer/Electronic Accommodation Program (CAP)
- Workforce Recruitment Program
- The Employer Assistance & Resource Network (EARN)
- EEOC Document: Questions and Answers: Promoting Employment of Individuals with Disabilities in the Federal Workforce
- EEOC Fact Sheet: Work at Home/Telework as a Reasonable Accommodation
- EEOC’s Overview of Disability Discrimination
- Federal Register 38 CFR Part I: Animals on VA Property
Reasonable Accommodation for Individuals with Disabilities [PDF]
- EEOC Issues New Guide to Assist Federal Agencies to Provide Personal Assistance Services (PAS)
- Federal Relay Conference Captioning Service Request